Saturday, May 9, 2009

Evening before MN opener

Friday afternoon we rushed home from work, packed the Tahoe for a weekend of fishing at the parents, stopped at Trails End for fishing licenses and new mono for the spinning reels, hit the liqueur store for some adult beverages (Lakemaid beer, and Dry Fly Vodka), stopped at the gas station to fill up, and swung by Wendy's for a quick supper on the go. Half way through the drive, I realized I forgot the new camera on the kitchen counter.

About three miles from my parents place there were turkeys in a field. On the road there was a truck pulled over to the side of the road watching them, and we pulled over too. There was a hen and two Toms in full strut. It was cool to see, then I noticed a black dot at the far end of the field.

The dot was moving towards the two Toms and there appeared to be blue head. I grabbed my binoculars and saw that it was a very nice mature Tom with a beard that almost hit the ground. He was heading fast towards the two Toms, which were heading towards him at a fast pace too. When they met up to each other the two younger Toms that had respectable beards attacked the older one. The older one fought back and this went on for about ten minutes back and forth. The older one gave up and walked away, the two Toms turned around to look for the hen. When they spotted her, they started off towards her and we decided to leave at that point.

It was really cool and hopefully when I go turkey hunting next weekend in south central Wisconsin, I'll get my chance to see another nice Tom that matched their size and bag one. I told dad about what Jen and I witnessed as we re-spooled new line on three of the four rods to prepare for tomorrow. Prelim reports are that their is little sunfish activity, crappies are hot in the evenings, and not sure about what the pike are doing. I guess we will find out soon enough.

Good luck to all the fisherman going out this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment